November is American Diabetes Month
Enjoying Holiday Festivities with Diabetes
Portion Size Pitfalls
- Split entrees when eating out or get half in a to-go box when first served.
- When eating at home, serve the food on individual plates, instead of putting the serving dishes on the table.
- When eating or snacking in front of the TV, put the amount that you plan to eat into a bowl or container instead of eating straight from the package.
- If you feel hungry between meals, eat a healthy snack, like a piece of fruit or small salad, to avoid overeating during your next meal.
- Divide up the contents of one large package into several smaller containers to help avoid over-consumption.
- Store especially tempting foods, like cookies, chips, or ice cream, out of immediate eyesight, like on a high shelf or at the back of the freezer. Move the healthier food to the front at eye level.